The house and property has had four owners and a very colorful past. Friederich and Sophia Shroeder imigrated from Mecklenburg, Germany, in the early 1850's and bought the 80 acre farm on Two-Cow Path (Little Mack Avenue), between Labadie Road (10 Mile Road), and Town Hall Road (11 Mile Road), in Erin Township, Macomb County, Michigan; which today is St. Clair Shores, Michigan.
The family raised 12 children in the original log cabin which was later replaced with one of the first brick, Victorian style homes in the area. Friederich built his home to last using 300,000 bricks in his contruction. The basement walls are two feet thick with the interior walls of the three-story house also built of brick, every fifth row of bricks turned on end.
Friederich passed away on April 16, 1895, his wife Sophia inherited the house and farmland and the Shroeder family owned the property until 1942. In 1937, the family added a large cinder block ballroom to the house on the side where the shops are now located.
During the prohibition Era the house was a gambling house, blind pig, and bordello, with secret passwords required for entry. Once inside, patrons enjoyed music, table dancers, and could purchase bottled beer for five cents. The second and third floors were reserved for the professional ladies of the night. The house had hidden passageways which lead patrons-if needed-to the woods behind the house.
In 1942, the Schroeder family sold the house and land to Renny Tesoriere who established Renny's Lodge; a place where patrons could dine on roadhouse meals for fifty cents and dance to the Big Band sound.
E.C. white, founder of the Gardener-White Company established in 1908, purchased the building in 1953 for his daughter Ruth and her husband Danny DiSanti. It remained E.C. White's furniture store until the early 1980's. The DiSanti family sold the property to Ray Domke and Larry Berdasono in 1986. With the help of family and friends, Ray and Larry spent the first year renovating the home to its original Victorian Era. They opened the new business as Victoria Place House of Shoppes, featuring several boutiques and an intimate cafe. It remained Victoria Place until the year 2000.
The house went through many changes until 2008, when Ray and Larry reopened the building as Ardmore Park Place featuring small boutiques including Urban Attic, Treasure Trove, Studio 5 Salon & Spa, and the professional services of Dr. Joseph C. Mifsud PsyD, ICAADC Clinical Psychotherapist. Dr. A. Scott Craig, PhD, LP & Michelle D Craig, M.A., LPC. Also included is the award winning Ardmore Cafe and Banquet Facilities which is the pride and joy of Ray and Larry. Today it is one of St. Clair Shores' most prestigious historical landmarks. On October 27, 2012, the city of St. Clair Shores declared the house an official historical building awarding it with a brass plaque which is located on the front of the building.